Frequently Asked Questions
If my child makes a team, how much will we have to travel?
- The amount of travel and tournament play is determined by the level of the team's play. Typically, our younger teams don't travel as often, or as far, as our older teams. Our best advice is for you to ask the parents of the team's current players while you attend the tryout. Each team has a parent serving as team manager and typically they arrange the schedule each season. If he or she is around the tryout, seek them out for guidance.
What if it rains the day of the tryout?
- Soccer is an all-weather sport. As long as there isn't lightning in the area and the rain doesn't pose a risk to the field or the kids, we will likely proceed with tryouts. Check the website for field closures after 3 PM on the day of the tryout. A tryout session cancelled due to weather might be rescheduled if the coach feels the need to.
What if we have a conflict the day of the tryout and cannot attend?
- One of the benefits to having tryouts over two sessions is it allows more people to attend, and players have more opportunity to show their skills. If you are unable to make the first tryout session, but plan on making the second session, go ahead and pre-register so the coach/manager will be aware. If you know you can't make either tryout session but want to be considered, please email us as soon as you can (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will see if we can work out an alternative.
My child isn't U9 yet. Does Blount United have opportunities for them?
- Yes! Our soccer academy offers top-level instruction for children U4-U8 without the travel or expense of the competitive team. It will allow them to develop their game in a fun, instructional environment with our certified coaches. All academy games are at Vulcan Park, with optional opportunities for local games for our U8 academy players. Visit our Academy page above for more details.
Can my child play another sport and play for Blount United?
- Our teams play both a fall and spring season. Sometimes our players will play a second sport during the winter or summer months, but during soccer season we recommend our selected players concentrate on soccer. Speak with the coach or team manager to get a sense of the time expectations.
What should we bring to tryouts?
- Each player should bring their own shin guards, cleats or turf shoes, soccer ball, and something to drink. Late afternoon in May/June is warm and we will take a lot of breaks.
Can my child tryout for the same team as his/her older sibling?
- Blount United usually tries to keep players only with their same-age squad. This prevents a roster spot being taken from a player who is the appropriate age, and keeps our teams strong at all age levels.
What are tryouts like?
- They are similar to a practice, although the coaches will probably do more observing than teaching. BUSC tries to keep tryouts loose and fun.
How much does a fall or spring season at Blount United cost each player?
- Our club fees are found under the “About Us” menu above.
How long does soccer season last?
- Our fall season typically begins in early August and ends around early November. Our spring season usually begins in early March and ends in the middle of May.